Thursday, September 6, 2012

Silver Platter Wreath


So, I was pursuing Pinterest the other day (what's new?) and came across this Gem of a Silver Platter Wreath (cheers to Donna from Funky Junk Interiors for pinning it):

Pinned Image
Credit
What a great idea for tarnished old silver! 
It's from Bachmann's 2011 Holiday Idea House, posted by Hammers & High Heels(which I recommend you click over and check out - it's unbelievable!)

Anyway, I tucked that idea in the back of my mind for Yard Sale Season, UNTIL...


I came across these silver serving trays at The Dollar Tree!

To make the wreath, I first laid out the oval platters to form a circle and hot-glued them where they touched.


Next, I glued some cardboard rectangles to the backs of the platters to stabilize them.


Then, I went wild with some aluminum tape on the back to make sure everything was nice and sturdy.  I had a bunch of aluminum tape leftover from my Potting Bench project - it's very useful!


Next, I flipped the whole thing over, glued the round plates on top of the juncture of the oval plates.


Finally, using my husband's old dress shirt for "tarnish rags," I made a few bows and tied on a couple of tarnished silver pieces I had lying around.



I hung it in my dining room as the start to a Silvery White Winter Mantle that is starting to take shape!





The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Silver Platter Wreath (12 Platters - $1 each, Rags & Additional Silver Pieces - on hand)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $12.00

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal GirlsFunky Junk Interiors and these other Great Parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...