Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fake Tannenbaum - Make a $20 Tree Look Like a $250 Tree!


When we lived in New Zealand, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a Christmas tree that I knew we were only going to use for 1 Season.  I got lucky and ended up finding a tree on TradeMe (NZ's version of eBay) for only $1.00!  It was a pretty sad and used specimen, but for a buck I figured I could make it work.

Not bad for a dollar, right?

Back in the USA, I found myself without a tree once again.  Now in a heap of debt, I surely didn't want to spend a lot on a tree, even if I knew it was going to last me more than 1 Season.  That's when I came across this super-cheap pre-lit tree from Walmart.



I know...it looks pretty sad, too.  It's only 6.5 feet tall and it's pretty sparse, but for only $20.00 I picked it up last year.

OK, now to fix it up!

First, I was not satisfied with a "short" tree.  I want an 8 foot tree.  I want a tree that's dramatically touching the ceiling!  Here's an easy fix for that...put it up on a sturdy box (I have an old wooden soda box) that's 1.5 feet tall.  Easy enough, and it gives you the added bonus of plenty of space under the tree for lit houses, trains and presents!


Next, I went to the Dollar Tree and picked up a bunch of vine garlands and pine picks.



I simply filled in all of the holes of my sparse tree to make it look much fuller. It took about 10 pine picks and 4 vine garlands.   A couple of burlap potato sacks to cover the tree's base complete the look!



Done!  Now it's all ready for ornaments!  Check out these before and after pictures and tell me what you think!

BEFORE

AFTER

The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Fake Tannenbaum:  (Tree $20, Picks & Vines $14)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $34.00

Compare to this 8 Foot, Fluffy, Pre-Lit Tree from QVC ($251.26 + $58 shipping)
<em>8</em>-1/2' Imperial Slim <em>Prelit Christmas Tree</em> by Vickerman - ...

Total Fake-It Yourself Savings:  $275.26


We won't even talk about the savings a fake tree gives you, year over year, as compared to a live tree!  In my area, live trees start at $75.00 - ouch!  I'll just light a pine-scented candle and enjoy my Fake Tannenbaum!

Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog, The Frugal Girls, and these other Great Parties!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm all about frugal tress, I honestly believe there is no reason. For anyone not wanting to use the vines and whatnot that you have, there is always the fake green pine garland. It looks the same as the branches on the tree, costs almost nothing (garage sales you can often get it for free!), and you can make your tree as full as you need :) Your frugal tree looks good, and no need to hurt the bank to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...