Thursday, September 6, 2012

Glowing Specimen Jars for Halloween


A long while back, I came across this post on Dollar Store Crafts for Solar Light Mason Jars:

Credit
Like I'm sure many of you do, I tucked this idea away for a rainy day...OK, I forgot all about it!  Thank goodness for Pinterest, because I came across it again just in time to use the same idea to make something spooky for Halloween!

They're solar light powered Glowing Specimen Jars, and they're super easy & cheap to put together!

First, start with some of those cheapo solar path lights that you know you have outside.  I picked up mine from the Dollar Tree last spring.  

I had some help!
The good thing about those lights is that the top screws right off.  That is the part you want because it has the LED light and the solar panel.  

I then took a variety of old jars and put some "specimens" inside.  I got all of these at the Dollar Tree.


Next, I filled the jars with water and added a drop of food coloring, placed the solar light on top and tied it with a rag piece of fabric to secure it.  

You can use these indoors or outdoors.  If you decide to use them indoors, keep them near a window during the day so you can enjoy their spooky glow at night!

The best part of this project is that when Halloween is over, you can reattach the solar lights to their bases and use them in your yard again!  You've just "borrowed" them for a week or so!

The Fake-It Yourself Breakdown:

Halloween Glowing Specimen Jars (Jars $0, Specimens $6, Lights $0)

Total Fake-It Cost:  $6.00 for 7 Jars

Compare to these Store Bought Specimen Jars ($24.99 for 3 Jars), plus they don't glow!

Total Fake-It Savings:  $52.31


Linking Up at Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog and these other Great Parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...